Twitter Updates


    Sunday, February 28

    The Lenten Sacrifice

    Today is the second Sunday of the Lenten Season. If only I were back in Manila, I would've proactively urged everyone to participate, even if our choral services are pushed back to the last Sunday of Lent (second Sunday of March), by, of course, hearing the mass. Gawd, I miss my choir. I miss singing too altogether!

    Well, Lent actually started on Ash Wednesday, the 17th of February. I've been ranting on Twitter and Plurk as to how I could commemorate the event given the situation that I am in. See, I can only read the Gospel reading for that day and reflect on it, but there's nothing more I like than to hear the mass in the Aramco compound and participate with my brothers and sisters in Faith in the preparation for the Easter journey. Me and my family don't have anyone to sponsor our visit there so my dream of attending the Ash Wednesday mass is a bit far fetch. There's a definite communion with our Father and the rest of the Christian-dome as the priest puts a sign of the cross on your forehead using the ashes. It makes you fervently believe that you are one with the congregation on this Lenten season.


    Alas, Fr. Jboy Gonzales, SJ, a Jesuit priest, told me over Twitter that God surely understands my situation and will forego my nonattendance to the Eucharistic celebration. It makes sense, actually, because God, for all I know, is a forgiving Father. But I couldn't rest my laurels on reading the scripture alone so I told myself that I'll do some sacrifices for Lent (and hopefully I'll do this every year):

    • No coffee or tea or any caffeine-laced drink.
    • No sodas, or keep it at a minimum of once a week (or if there's a viewing party at home).
    • No snacks, no seconds, no sweets — except on days that begin w/ d letter S. (Adapted from M. Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual)
    • Lessen the use of atrocious words when speaking to or about someone whom I dislike.
    • No red meat on Fridays or any other day if possible.
    • Less channel surfing (TV/Internet) and more reading.

    From the looks of it, my list is like a mix of diet policies and new year's resolutions. That'll do for now, and I bet I'll shed pounds over this season. *crosses fingers*

    What are your sacrifices this Lent?